E.B. Tolmacheva. Photo documentation of the excavation process on the paleolithic site of eliseyevichi 1. Experience of the analysis of visual data**Abstract
E.B. Tolmacheva - Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (the Kunstkamera) Russian Academy of Sciences, Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya, 3, 199034, St. Petersburg, Russia.
Abstract: The article is focused on analysis of a photonegative collection housed in Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography, RAS. The collection visualizes the excavation process of the Upper Paleolithic site of Eliseyevichi 1 (Zhiryatinsky district, Bryansk region) conducted in 1935–1936. The paper presents the history of the photo collection including process of its creation and museum storage period. The methods of the collector, circumstances of the collection creation and its archiving were analyzed and informative value of the collection for archaeological studies was estimated. The visual documents were compared with the field diary data. Special attention was given to the technical features referable to the process of creation and preservation of the collection. The examples of extraction of archaeological meaningful data from the field photographs are given in the paper. The comparison of the MAE RAS photo collection with visual and other documents on the Eliseyevichi 1 excavation housed in the Belarusian Academy of Sciences archive demonstrate the importance of photo materials of 1935– 1936 which defiantly add to our understanding of the archaeological context of the site.
Keywords: visual anthropology, source criticism, archeological photofixation, photography technique, photo archive.
- Dudin, S.M., Fotografiia v nauchnykh poezdkakh [Photography on Scientific Journeys], in: Kraevedenie, 1923, no. 1, pp. 31–46, (in Russian).
- Khlopachev, G.A., Bivnevye industrii verkhnego paleolita Vostochnoi Evropy [The Tusk Industries of the Upper Paleolithic of Eastern Europe], St. Petersburg, 2006, 262 p., (in Russian).
- Khlopachev, G.A, Polkovnikova, M.E., Struktura tsentral’noi chasti paleoliticheskoi stoianki Eliseevichi 1: opyt rekonstruktsii na osnove polevoi dokumentatsii K.M. Polikarpovicha [The Structure of the Central Part of the Paleolithic Site Eliseevich 1: Experience of Reconstruction Based on K.M. Polikarpovich’s Field Documentation], in: Kamennyi vek rossiisko-belorusskogo porubezh’ia (Zamiatninskii sbornik, vol. 5), St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2017, pp. 3–20, (in Russian).
- Rudinskii, M.Ia., Pushkari (Materialy k istorii izucheniia paleoliticheskikh stoianok u s. Pushkari Novgorod- Severskogo raiona na Chernigovshchine) [Pushkari (Materials on the History of the Study of Paleolithic Sites Near the Village of Pushkari, Novgorod-Seversky District, Chernihiv Region)], in: Sovetskaia arkheologiia, 1947, vol. IX, pp. 171–198, (in Russian).
- Tikhonov, N.P., Fotografiia v polevoi rabote [Photography in Field Work], Leningrad: GAIMK, 1932, 134 p., (in Russian).
- Velichko, A.A., Grekhova, L.V., Gribchenko, Iu.N., Kurenkova, E.I., Pervobytnyi chelovek v ekstremal’nykh usloviiakh sredy. Stoianka Eliseevichi [Primitive Man in Extreme Environmental Conditions. Stoyanka Eliseevichi], Moscow: Gosudarstvennyi Istoricheskii muzei, 1997, 192 p., (in Russian).