M.G. Zhilin. Bone and antler Mesolithic artefacts from the bottom find level of Ivanovskoye 7 in the collection of MAE RAS
Zhilin Mikhail Gennadievich – Holder of an Advanced Doctorate in History, Leading Researcher. Institute of Archaeology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia.
A collection of bone artefacts from Mesolithic layers from the site Ivanovskoye 7, excavated by the Upper Volga expedition under direction of M.G. Zhilin was taken for permanent storage by MAE RAS in 2012. Three cultural layers produced impressive collections of bone and antler artefacts of early, middle and late periods of the Butovo culture, finds from the bottom layer are described in detail in the present article. Comparison of finds from Mesolithic layers of Ivanovskoye 7 with other peat bog sites indicates rather steady development. Main functional groups of tools and weapons emerged already in the very beginning of the Mesolithic and existed till its very end. Bone industry of the Butovo culture was formed already in the first half of the Preboreal period as indicated by the bottom layer of Ivanovskoye 7. Its further development was characterized by gradual decrease of the role of composite artefacts with flint inserts, disappearance of some types of tools and weapons and their change with other tool types of the same function. During the whole period of its existence the population of the Butovo culture was equipped with a highly developed set of bone and antler artefacts needed for successful living in the forests of temperate zone.
Key words: mesolithic, bone industry, Ivanovskoye 7 site, MAE RAS.
- Clark, J.G.D., The Mesolithic Settlement of Northern Europe, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1936, 284 p.
- Filippov, A.K., Tekhnologiia izgotovleniia kostianykh nakonechnikov v verkhnem paleolite [Technology of the Manufacture of Bone Projectile Heads in the Upper Paleolithic],Sovetskaia arkheologiia, 1978, no. 2, pp. 23–32, (in Russian).
- Krainov, D. A., Khotinskii, N.A., Ivanovskie stoianki - kompleks mezo- i neoliticheskikh ozerno-bolotnykh poselenii na Volgo-Okskom mezhdurech’e [Ivanovskoye Sites – the Complex of Mesolithic and Neolithic Lake-bog Settlements in the Volga-Oka Interfluve], in: Arkheologiia i paleogeografiia mezolita I neolita Russkoi ravninyi, Moscow: Nauka, 1984, pp. 92–109, (in Russian).
- Oshibkina, S.V., Mezolit basseina Sukhony i Vostochnogo Prionezh’ia [The Mesolithic and Neolithic of the Sukhona Basin and Eastern Onega Region], Moscow: Nauka, 1983, 296 p., (in Russian).
- Oshibkina, S.V., Veret’e 1. Poselenie epokhi mezolita na Severe Vostochnoi Evropy [Veretye I. A Mesolithic Settlement in the North of Eastern Europe], Moscow: Nauka, 1997, 204 p., (in Russian).
- Pelegrin, J., New Experimental Observations for the Characterization of Pressure Blade Production Techniques, in: P.M. Desrosiers (ed.) The Emergence of Pressure Blade Making. From Origin to Modern Experimentation, New York: Springer, 2012, pp. 465–500.
- Skakun, N.N., Zhilin, M.G., Terekhina, V.V., Istoriia izgotovleniia i ispol’zovaniia odnogo nakonechnika iz stoianki Ivanovskoe VII [The History of Manufacture and Use of One Arrowhead from Ivanovskoye VII], Arkheologicheskie vesti, 2014, vol. 20, pp. 80–95, (in Russian).
- Zaretskaya, N.E., Ponomareva, V.V., Sulerzhitski, L.D., Zhilin, M.G., Radiocarbon Studies of Peat Bogs: an Investigation of South Kamchatka Volcanoes and Upper Volga Archaeological Sites, Radiocarbon, 2001, vol. 43, no. 2B, pp. 571–580.
- Zhilin, M.G., Adaptatsiia mezoliticheskikh kul’tur Verkhnego Povolzh’ia k kamennomu syr’iu [Adaptation of Mesolithic Cultures of the Upper Volga to Lithic Raw Materials], in: Tverskoi arkheologicheskii sbornik, vol. 3, Tver’: Tverskoi gosudarstvennyi ob”edinennyi muzei, 1998, pp. 25–31, (in Russian).
- Zhilin, M.G., Kostianaia industriia mezolita lesnoi zony Vostochnoi Evropy [Mesolithic Bone Industry of the Forest Zone of Eastern Europe], Moscow: URSS, 2001, 326 p., (in Russian).
- Zhilin, M.G., Kostianaia industriia mezoliticheskoi butovskoi kul’tury v Verkhnem Povolzh’e [Bone Industry of the Mesolithic Butovo Culture on the Upper Volga], Rossiiskaia arkheologiia, 2002, no. 3, pp. 5–25, (in Russian).
- Zhilin, M.G., Prirodnaia sreda i khoziaistvo mezoliticheskogo naseleniia tsentra i severo-zapada lesnoi zony Vostochnoi Evropy [Environment and Economy of the Mesolithic Population of the Center and North-West of the Forest Zone of Eastern Europe], Moscow: Akademiia, 2004, 142 p., (in Russian).
- Zhilin, M., Antler Perforated Staff Heads from Central Russia and Eastern Urals Area, in: A. Legrand-Pineau, I. Sidйra, N. Buc, E. David, V. Scheinsohn (eds.), Ancient and Modern Bone Artefacts from America to Russia. Cultural, technological and functional signature, BAR International Series 2136, 2010, pр. 135–140.
- Zhilin, M.G., Rogovye posredniki i otzhimniki v mezolite Volgo-Okskogo mezhdurech’ia [Antler Punches and Pressure Flakers in the Mesolithic of the Volga-Oka Interfluve], Kratkie soobshcheniia Instituta arkheologii, 2012, vol. 227, pp. 211–230, (in Russian).
- Zhilin, M.G., Kostyleva, E.L., Utkin, A.V., Engovatova, A.V., Mezoliticheskie i neoliticheskie kul’tury Verkhnego Povolzh’ia (po materialam stoianki Ivanovskoe VII) [Mesolithic and Neolithic Cultures of the Upper Volga Region. After Materials of the Site Ivanovskoye 7], Moscow: Nauka, 2002, 246 p., (in Russian).